Commercial Manager / Pricing Estimator
The individual would be responsible for commercial proposal development and associated functions. Performs a variety of cost estimating and pricing activities (individual or as part of a team) for proposals. The Estimator at this level has experience in applying standard estimating practices, techniques processes and procedures, and demonstrates familiarity in applying company policies and assigned project/program practices and procedures. Typical responsibilities are focused on a variety of ancillary estimating tasks. Although the incumbent may perform some higher-level estimating assignments, this work does not encompass a sufficient amount of his/her time to warrant exempt status.
The key responsibilities that need to be handled by an estimating and proposal pricing manager are:
- To assist in developing and estimating business processes that will ensure applicability at the project level
- To actively participate in the management of various tenders
- To review and complete the bid forms and ensure that they are within the given specifications
- To perform evaluation of bids and provide the pricing in a timely manner.
- In collaboration with the Director of Cost & Pricing, determines optimal price points for bids and conduct price-to-win analysis; ensures cost proposals meet profitability rates/targets set by the organization.
- Collects cost and pricing data for bids including in-country data, market data for cost line items.
- Collaborates with project managers and other MSI staff to ensure that all contract pricing activities comply with company requirements and policies.
- Utilizes and maintains cost/pricing models and narratives, schedules, and technical elements in the development of proposals in accordance with request for proposal (RFP) specifications to determine anticipated direct costs (labor, material requirements, equipment costs, Other Direct Costs), and indirect rates, for a variety of proposal types to comply with bid requirements and costing standards.
- Actively participates in all proposal Red/Green Team reviews, Post Proposal and Post Award reviews.
- Works closely with Technical teams, Project Managers and Financial Management to assess financial implications of teaming, staffing and procurement decisions for bids and post-award implementation.
- Prepares detailed deliverables on assigned proposals based on client and project requirements. Reviews estimates prepared by others to check for completeness, appropriate definition, and accuracy. Prepares detailed breakdown structures (WBS) for proposed plan of works and sufficient to define the scope to be delivered. Defines the specific scope intended by the contract documents, project development requirements and/or the program element components, systems and subsystems.
- Prepares and summarizes the bases of estimate (BOE) development, including estimate scope, estimate method of development, pricing utilized, labor, material and equipment rates included in the estimate, assumptions and exclusions, escalation, parametric comparisons using previous estimate data from similar projects, estimate quality control (QC) review and results, and estimate conclusion and recommendation. Delivers a complete and comprehensive estimate of probable cost based on the proposed contract documents inclusive of contract terms and conditions. Defines, details and estimates the cost of contract general conditions and job cost in compliance with the planned execution to accomplish total contract delivery.
- Utilizes parametric historical estimate data to develop a reasonable estimate of probable cost, based on high level of scope definition and preliminary intent for a capital asset in relation to an order of magnitude (PM) development. Defines intended scope, function and output of a specific system, service or asset using the basic “top down” WBS development approach.
- Utilizes the “bottoms up” approach in the development of probable contract cost, and compares that cost with data from previous contracts similar in nature when the estimate task required detail development. Develops scope sheets and request for bid or quotation from potential service providers, inclusive of internet, telephone and/or written provided data.
- Assists the Estimating Leads for historical data and estimate database management with the accumulation, evaluation, and documentation of cost data retrieved from completed discrete design and/or construction contracts, inclusive of work activity, delivery means and methods, productivity, activity durations, supervision and craft man-hour utilization.
- Reviews contract documents to access contract risk and significant exposure to estimated cost if potential risks are experienced. Assigns reasonable maximum cost and schedule exposure resulting from potential risks.
- Provides technical guidance to lower-level Associate Estimators. Collaborates with small estimate teams comprised of other Estimators and Associate Estimators with the outcome being a final deliverable that meets Customer and Client requirements and expectations.
- May deliver quality controlled estimates for business development activities.
- Performs other responsibilities associated with this position as may be appropriate.
- Strong analytical skills with background in data analytics. Attention to detail will definitely succeed in the field of estimation.
- Should possess the relevant technical knowledge and should be comfortable using various computer programs as he needs to deal with huge database.
- Should have excellent speaking and writing skills which are critical in maintaining good relationship with the clients and in documentation of various business development submittals. Besides these, should possess excellent time management and organization skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Construction Management or related field (or equivalent work experience)
- Typically 10+ years of related work experience involving typical estimating activities.
- Candidate must have strong Pre-Contracts experience
- Previous experience using estimating database supported software.
- Master Degree in Business Administration or Finance desirable
- Ability to perform standard estimating activities typical to the engineering and construction industry is required.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, familiarity with company and project procedures and practices.
- A familiarity with typical project controls software such as Primavera scheduling software, Estimate/Schedule Transfer tools, Contract Manager, and DMCS (Document and Materials Control System) is preferred. Must have a clear understanding of, and ability to work with, construction contract commercial documents, drawings and specifications.
Minimum Clearance Required To Start
Parsons is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace. Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veteran.