SNC Lavalin’s Atkins business is one of the largest multidisciplinary, multi sector engineering design consultancies in the world and is part of the SNC Lavalin Group.
As one of the world’s most respected design, engineering, and project management consultancies with a leading track record in the defense sector, Atkins are ideally placed to respond to this market. We have a broad establishment and proud, 50-year history throughout the Middle East region.
We provide a full range of design, engineering and project management services for buildings, transportation and other infrastructure programmes.
Atkins in the Middle East now employs around 2,000 staff serving Gulf clients across all market sectors from offices in Abu Dhabi, Al Ain, Doha, Dubai, Jeddah, Kuwait City, Manama, Muscat, Riyadh, and Sharjah.
Title: Site Mechanical Engineer
Department: Site Operations
Location: Middle East
Reports to: Project Manager / Resident Engineer / Head of Mechanical
To implement all aspects of the quality management systems and control site supervision
activities provision related to the Electrical Works across the project, to deliver quality
installations in accordance with the contract documents, relevant international standards and
local authorities’ requirements
- Site Area Manager (SAM)
- Site Supervision Team
- Head of Structural Site Operations (SHOS)
- All Discipline staffs
- Office Manager Site Operations (OMSOD)
- Site HSE Engineers (SHSEE)
- Resident Engineer (RE)
- Site QA/QC Engineers (SQE)
Primary ResponsibilityVisit project site frequently (as required) to supervise the ongoing construction activities. To
ensure that the Works are carried out safely and in-line with quality standards, in
accordance to contract documents.
- Implement the site supervision quality procedures, and review submission requirements of the project, along with the MEP contractor.
- Review all construction documents and highlight any design and contractual discrepancies with the concerned PM/RE / SHOM.
- Ensure that all statutory authority NOC’s / permits / design approvals are available on site for construction.
- Ensure that the main contractor and nominated MEP contractor coordinate with all concerned authorities departments and ensure that their requirements are adequately and satisfactorily incorporated.
- Extend the maximum possible effort to avoid contractor(s) claims for cost and/or delay.
- Prepare process control sheet for mechanical works in conjunction with SHOM during the Enabling Works / Main Contract Works.
- Review and forward any comments on all submittals including contractor design drawings, shop drawings, materials and alternative proposals submitted by contractors.
- Conduct regular (daily) site visits and supervise, certify the installation of mechanical services ensuring compliance with the contract documents.
- Review and forward any comments on the contractor’s method statement for installation, execution of the works.
- Review and forward any comments on the contractor’s testing and commissioning plan / procedures / method statements.
- Review and forward any comments on the contractor’s technical submittals.
- Attend site technical coordination meetings to discuss contractor (s) submissions, shop drawings, material submittals and construction related matters
- Review and forward any comments on the Technical Query’s raised by the contractor.
- Routine Inspection of the works carried out by the contractor(s) to ascertain that work is executed in accordance with the Contract Documents and accepted practice.
- Inspect the mock-up, permanent works, on-site and off-site materials to be used in the project and organize field and laboratory tests, conducted by others, on construction materials to ascertain their compliance with the specifications and determine the acceptability for use on the project.
- Raise non-conformance notices (NCNs)/reports; site inspections notices (SINs) identify quality deficiencies in conjunction with the PM/RE.
- Review the corrective actions proposed by the contractor, respond / follow ups and close out procedure
- Any potential safety concerns identified at site shall be reported to site SHSEE / PM/RE.
- Review the site progress and assist in the review of the contractor’s interim payment application.
- Liaise with the SHOM for the effective implementation of the quality management systems and site supervision provision activities.
- Obtain samples and quotations as required for finalization of any PS/PC Items.
- Monitor the progress of the work against the approved contractor programme of works.
- Witness the testing and commissioning of all the mechanical / mechanical equipment and sign off the relevant documents for acceptance.
- Verify the accuracy of the contractor’s “As-Built” drawings reflecting in details the as built conditions and approve the As-Built drawings.
- Review and approve the contractor’s operations & maintenance manuals.
- Liaise with the Statutory Authorities and follow up all final inspection and approvals as required.
- Carry out the final inspection for certification of final completion and handing over of the works.
- Assist RE in the supervision of the works to ensure compliance with the contract documents.
- Assist/support the site team and the respective PM/RE with the implementation of quality management systems.
- Assist in the site team in the external and internal audits to ensure the effective implementation of quality management systems and work with the site team for resolution of non-conformance issues.
- Liaise with the project supervision team, coordinate and resolve any issues of concern.
- Analyze current methods of site supervision and provide recommendations for continuous improvement
- Implementation of all quality audits, surveillance audits and work with site team for resolution of non-conformance issues.
- Compile Site Feedback and forward to the PM/RE / SHOM
- Assist the site team in the satisfactory close out of the project including snagging / disengaging of the works and related documentation.
- Review and assist the project team to compile all documents at handing-over for submission to the Client.
- Assist the PM/RE in compilation of all documents for the issuance of the Taking-Over Certificate.
- Provide necessary technical reports / recommendation as required by the Client for any project specific issues.
- Attend meetings with Client (as required).
- Liaise with the Client for the necessary approval of samples.
- Regularly attend site technical coordination meetings with Contractor
Site Operations Office Interface
- Liaise with the SHOM any particular project site related issues requiring input and/or feedback.
- Coordinate leave request and discuss leave cover with the SHOM.
- Liaise with OMSOD for all HR / Finance / Administrative issues.
Design Office Interface
- Identify, raise and follow-up design office support requests in co-ordination with the SHOM.
- Assume responsibility of mechanical works in the project and certify on completion the installation.
- Monitor performance of the Contractor / Sub-contractor and identify, raise any quality / workmanship concerns with the SQE / PM/RE.
- Review quality procedures and effectively implement QA/QC plans across the project.
- Identify any particular site safety issues and bring to the notice of the contractor / SHSEE / PM/RE.
Line Management / Administrative Duties
- Update and maintain the latest revision of all project documents
- Review, coordinate and forward submittals, inspection requests, technical query to the project team and/or discipline engineers.
- Assist the project site team during internal, external and site surveillance audits.
- Coordinate leave request and discuss leave cover with the SHOM.
- Prepare and regularly (weekly) submit reports and maintain records
Rewards & BenefitsWe offer an excellent package which includes:
- A competitive salary
- Transportation allowance
- Medical and life insurance cover
- 26 calendar days annual leave
- Company gratuity scheme
- Discretionary bonus scheme
- Annual flight allowance to point of origin