Senior Associate – Urban Planner role sits within the Urban Planning of the Urbanism + Planning practice line and leads the implementation of strategy for teams or units within a business, function or geographic operation, including projects and achievement of result.
The position requires to lead, develop and produce quality product and implement practice plans and project requirements and will develop and implement a business development plan and marketing activities to cultivate a presence and client base in the market and secure future planning and design projects for the practice.
- Manages and delivers high value complex multi-disciplinary projects with project management skills, working directly with the Associate Director and Director levels
- Leads showcase complex proposals and ensures high quality output including innovative ways to present
- Independently manages client expectations and deliverables to ensure alignment with contracted scopes by leading client and project meetings, articulating and defending the work undertaken.
- Ability to operate as a technical lead for multiple projects at various scale of master planning projects with a sound understanding of all relevant planning workstreams.
- Provide specific technical expertise in spatial planning, regional planning, developing governance and implementation strategies
- Has strong capabilities to coordinate, challenge, and manage multiple disciplines for complex projects and communicate project objectives/deliverables to drive the best outcome.
- Has strong people management skills and provides professional urban/environmental planning mentorship/guidance to junior staff members.
- Seeks out ways to improve planning/environmental analysis processes and ensures critical thinking is conducted throughout the planning team.
- Has excellent written and presentation skills in English/Arabic (preferred) with an ability to coordinate and develop a deliverable (report) as well as create a presentation and summary to support the deliverable.
- Leads more than one specialty topic / interests in urban planning e.g., wellness planning / placemaking
- Strong understanding of planning / environmental governance and policy and can communicate planning / environmental governance and policy and make recommendations to clients where relevant.
- Can structure and manage tailored planning guidelines and controls as per client requirements.
- Strong ability to communicate differences between planning stages and drive outcomes of report structure and content.
- Communicates and coordinates with clients and project teams to enable creation of project briefs to set out project objectives.
- Prepare and deliver presentations to clients and government (approving agencies) to advance approvals of development, Master Plans, Development Guidelines and policies.
- Liaise with government agencies and other authorities as may be required regarding development objectives, policies and procedures
15+ years’ experience in the Urban Planning field, candidates would ideally have worked on government and private sector projects. Management experience is required as the successful candidate would lead a multi-disciplinary team.
- Expertise in providing technical guidance for developing regional plans, city or national spatial strategies, comprehensive city plans and governance and implementation frameworks and action plans.
- Exceptional experience in preparing high-quality, multi-disciplinary written and illustrative planning principles, concepts, strategies, controls and guidelines.
- Strong ability to write, refine and deliver final reports with regard to planning, urban design and development projects.
- Ability to structure, lead and participate in planning, urban design and development workshops as required
- Ability to lead and manage complex, multi-disciplinary projects to successful delivery of outcomes within budget and programme.
- Proven track record in seeking, securing, maintaining and managing positive and successful liaison with clients.
- Strong ability to work either in a team, or alone with positive results from either scenario.
- Ability to mentor and train more junior staff, either in the course of a project or through a separate programme.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Urban Planning, Design, Urban Policy or Town Planning. Masters in one of these disciplines is required
- RTPI (or any other planning association membership) would be advantageous.
What We Offer
We will give you the flexibility you need to do your best work with hybrid work options. Whether you’re working from an AECOM office, remote location or at a client site, you will be working in a dynamic environment where your integrity, entrepreneurial spirit and pioneering mindset are championed.
You will help us foster a culture of equity, diversity and inclusion – a safe and respectful workplace, where we invite everyone to bring their whole selves to work using their unique talents, backgrounds and expertise to create transformational outcomes for our clients.
We will encourage you to grow and develop your career with us through our technical and professional development programs and diverse career opportunities. We believe in leadership at all levels. No matter where you sit in the organization you can make a lasting impact on the projects you work on, the teams and committees you join and our business.
We offer competitive pay and benefits, well-being programs to support you and your family, and the development resources you need to advance your career.
When you join us, you will connect and collaborate with a global network of experts – planners, designers, engineers, scientists, consultants, program and construction managers – leading the change toward a more sustainable and equitable future. Join us and let’s get started.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Job Category Planning
Business Line U&P
Business Group Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)
Country United Arab Emirates
Position Status Full Time
Requisition/Vacancy No. 266363BR
Additional Locations AE – Abu Dhabi, UAE – International Tower
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.